Frequently Asked Questions

How to register for a course?

Please see the MySJSU tutorial for more information.

Can I add a course after the deadline?

You can add a course provided you meet the prerequisite requirements and the instructor signs your registration form. Complete a "Late Enrollment" form (PDF) in the Form Section and submit it to the College of Professional and Global Education (CPGE) office located at One Washington Square, Student Union - CPGESan Jose CA 95192-0135 or fax to 408-924-2666 for the Associate Dean's approval.

Can I drop my classes and receive a refund?

Since classes offered through Academic Programs start on different dates during the semester, they do not follow the same refund calendar.

To calculate the refund percentage, please do the following:

  • Drop the course officially before class starts, 100% refund
  • Count the number of calendar days of your class (start to end, including weekends). This number of days is the class length.
  • Calculate 10% of the class length. This is the deadline for a partial refund.
  • From start date to deadline for a partial refund, students will get 75%.
  • After this deadline, there will be no refund.

Students are responsible for dropping their class officially. Failure to attend may not cause students to be dropped from a class automatically. Failure to drop a course officially generates a failing grade of “F” or Withdrawal Unauthorized (WU) and fees will be charged to the student's account.

How can I apply?

Contact the department for details about the program. For deadline and document requirements, visit the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations website.

How can I obtain a transcript?

To order official transcripts, visit the Office of the Registrar.

How can I pay?

Please see the Bursar's Office Methods of Payment for more information.

How do I access my grades?

Grades become available within two to three weeks after the course is completed. Access your grades online via your one.SJSU (UserID and password required) account.

How do I drop a course?

Complete the drop process either by dropping the course online through your MySJSU account or filing a Petition to drop a course. All approval signatures/permissions are required. Leaving a course without authorization will result in a Withdrawl Unauthorized (WU) which is equivalent to an "F" grade.

Is financial aid available?

Yes. San Jose State University offers limited financial aid, which may consist of Grant(s) and/or a Stafford Loan. There are a number of restrictions on these funds, which are outlined below. Refer to the Financial Aid office for additional information.

How does it work?

Students are required to register with a minimum of half-time units of attendance at this university to qualify to receive financial aid. Students must be admitted on a regular basis to the University AND be enrolled at SJSU.

What are the requirements?

  • Must be an SJSU matriculated student.
  • Must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application and submitted all supporting documents.
  • Must be enrolled in the minimum number of units required: at least half time (6 total units for undergraduate).
  • Applicants must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

How much am I eligible for?

The amount and type of financial aid you will be eligible for will depend on many factors, including grade level, need, and the total number of units that you are enrolled in for the semester. As an undergraduate student, you are eligible to receive federal financial aid only for enrollment in the special session courses. Federal aid programs include the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Grant, Federal Perkins Loan and the Direct Stafford Loans. However, if you are also enrolled in regular courses your award will be calculated based on the combination of all units which may qualify for receipt of additional financial aid. If you are unsure about your exact circumstance, you can discuss it with the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. All funding and awards are based on federal and state budgets and legislature changes. Awards are subject to change at any time.

How do I start the process?

Prior to registering for classes, you should see a Financial Aid Counselor. The staff member at the counter will review your overall financial aid eligibility and have you complete all required paperwork needed to process your financial aid. You will be notified of your revised award via your MySJSU account, if applicable. Any shortfall not covered by financial aid is the responsibility of the student.

Visit the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office website for additional information.

The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office is located in the Student Services Center (SSC), first floor, on the corner of 9th and San Fernando Street.

When is my tuition due?

Spring and Fall: 21 days from the date of registration
Summer: 15 days from the date of registration