New Program - Master of Design
Our new Master of Design (MDes) program is a two-year, hybrid format program that focuses on current, emerging, and experimental professional practices with distinct specializations in Experience Design and Animation.Master of Design
New Program - MSSE, Specialization in Enterprise Technologies
Join professional students in an unmatched educational experience with the MS in Software Engineering, Specialization in Enterprise Technologies. Prequalify today.MSSE in Enterprise Technologies
New Program - Higher Education Teaching Certificate
The Higher Education Teaching Certificate program provides graduate-level coursework and classroom experience to current and future higher education instructors.Higher Education Teaching Certificate
Frequently Asked Questions
See below to learn more about earning Continuing Education Units through Professional and Continuing Eduacation (PACE) at SJSU.
- What are Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?Continuing Education Units, or CEUs, are awarded by many colleges, universities, and other accredited training providers to signify the successful completion of non-credit programs and courses intended to improve the knowledge and skills of working adults. 1 CEU represents approximately ten (10) contact hours of experience in a structured continuing education experience (class, seminar, retreat, practicum, self-study, etc.) that is supervised in some way by a qualified continuing education provider.
- How is a CEU different from an academic unit?CEUs are not awarded for academic study and do not represent, provide, or convert to academic credit.
- How can I benefit from CEUs?EUs provide a permanent record of the educational accomplishments of an individual who has completed significant non-credit educational and career enhancement training. CEUs are needed by many individuals to obtain or renew industry certifications or licenses or gain increases in compensation. Doctors, nurses, educators, lawyers, engineers, CPAs, real estate agents, financial advisers, and other professionals are required to participate in continuing education programs for a certain number of hours every year in order to keep their certification, or professional licenses current. The annual number of CEUs required varies by state and profession.
- Not included as CEUs:
- Credit courses
- Committee meetings
- Work experience
- Mass media programs
- Youth programs
- Unsupervised study
- Entertainment and recreation
- Will my employer accept the CEUs I have earned from SJSU?San José State University is a WASC-accredited organization; however, you will have to speak with your employer about if they will accept the CEUs you earned from SJSU. Contact your Human Resources manager to inquire.
- I have applied to a Graduate Program at another University; will SJSU provide a transcript
to include in my application?Yes, we are happy to support your educational endeavors. Please visit Transcripts and make sure to indicate the mailing address of the school to which you would like us to send your transcript.
- How do I take part in Career Development?
- I have participated in SJSUs Career Development training. How do I purchase CEUs?The CEU Request Form needed to purchase CEUs is available only through your program leader. Please contact the facilitator of your program to obtain this form. If you have the CEU Request Form and are ready to purchase CEUs, please visit our online payment site.
- How much does it cost to purchase CEUs?San José State is happy to offer one of the most competitive rates available for CEUs, at a cost of $90 per CEU. Additionally, transcripts are free!
- How long does it take to process my Transcript Request?Processing time for a Professional Development/CEU Transcript is approximately 2-4 weeks; however, due to seasonal demand, there may be an increased wait during the months of July-September.
- How can my school district, agency, or organization benefit from a partnership with
PACE?SJSU is a WASC-approved continuing education provider, and partners with school districts and professional associations to offer CEUs to continuing education participants. Many school districts, government agencies and nonprofit organizations organize continuing education courses in the form of workshops, trade shows, or conferences to provide individuals the opportunity to meet their industry’s continuing education requirements. Typically, SJSU does not coordinate these events, but provides student services, record keeping of attendee participation, and ensures the quality of the training provided.