Frequently Asked Questions

  • I am an international student. Can I attend Open University?

    If you are studying at SJSU with an F or J student visa, any courses taken through Open University will not count toward the full time enrollment required for maintaining your visa status. If you have questions, please visit the Office of International student and Scholar and Services Office or call 408-924-5920.

    International students who are academically disqualified must see an International Student Advisor prior to enrollment in Open University.

  • What are the COVID-19 vaccine requirements?
    All students enrolled in an in-person or hybrid class must submit their vaccination status. Check the general COVID-19 vaccination requirements on the Student Health Center website.
  • How to register for a course?
    Please view the MySJSU tutorial for step by step instruction.
  • Can I add a course after the deadline?

    You can add a course provided your meet the prerequisite requirements and the instructor signs your registration form. Complete a "Late Enrollment" form (DocuSign) in the form section.

    Late enrollment requires instructor, chair or program director and Associate Dean approval. Students indicate the name and email of the approvers in the spaces listed to route the form correctly. Instructions to fill out the form are on the first page.

    If classes are dropped due to non-payment after the deadline to drop, and you are wish to re-enroll, all the courses should be added back.

  • When is my tuition due?
    Spring and Fall: 21 days from the date of registration
    Summer: 15 days from the date of registration
  • How can I pay?
    Please see the Bursar's Office Methods of Payment. For instructions on how to pay and set up direct deposit, see tutorials for more information.
  • Is financial aid available?

    Yes. San José State University offers limited financial aid, which may consist of Grant(s) and/or a Stafford Loan. There are a number of restrictions on these funds, which are outlined below. Visit the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office website for additional information. Refer to the Financial Aid office for additional information.

    How does it work?
    Students are required to register with a minimum of half-time units of attendance at this university to qualify to receive financial aid. Students must be admitted on a regular basis to the University AND be enrolled at SJSU.

    What are the requirements?

    • Must be an SJSU matriculated student.
    • Must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application and submitted all supporting documents.
    • Must be enrolled in the minimum number of units required: at least half time (6 total units for undergraduate).
    • Applicants must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

    How much am I eligible for?
    The amount and type of financial aid you will be eligible for will depend on many factors, including grade level, need, and the total number of units that you are enrolled in for the semester. As an undergraduate student, you are eligible to receive federal financial aid only for enrollment in the special session courses. Federal aid programs include the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Grant, Federal Perkins Loan and the Direct Stafford Loans. However, if you are also enrolled in regular courses your award will be calculated based on the combination of all units which may qualify for receipt of additional financial aid. If you are unsure about your exact circumstance, you can discuss it with the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. All funding and awards are based on federal and state budgets and legislature changes. Awards are subject to change at any time.

    How do I start the process?
    Prior to registering for classes, you should see a Financial Aid Counselor. The staff member at the counter will review your overall financial aid eligibility and have you complete all required paperwork needed to process your financial aid. You will be notified of your revised award via your MySJSU account, if applicable. Any shortfall not covered by financial aid is the responsibility of the student.

    Visit the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office website for additional information.

    The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office is located in the Student Services Center (SSC), first floor, on the corner of 9th and San Fernando Street.

  • How can I obtain a transcript?
    To order official transcripts, fill out the Transcript Request Form or visit the Office of the Registrar’s website.
  • How do I drop a course?
    Complete the drop process either by dropping the course online through your MySJSU account or filing a Petition to drop a course. All approval signatures/permissions are required. Leaving a course without authorization will result in a Withdrawal Unauthorized (WU) which is equivalent to an "F" grade.
  • Can I drop my class(es) and receive a refund?

    Since classes offered through Academic Programs start on different dates during the semester, they do not follow the same refund calendar as the regular session. Please follow the timeline below: 

    •  Students who officially drop the course by the 5th calendar day of the class will receive a 100% refund (Day 1 is 1st day)
    • On the 6th calendar day: 75% refund
    • On the 7th calendar day: 50% refund
    • On the  8th calendar day: 25% refund
    • Starting the 9th day: 0% refund.
    Students are responsible for dropping their class officially. When students drop a class officially, their account will show class status as "Drop" or "W" grade. Failure to attend may not result in students being dropped from a class automatically. Failure to drop a course officially generates a failing grade of “F” or Withdrawal Unauthorized (WU) and fees will be charged to the student's account.
Back to Top