Practical Training (Internship, CPT and OPT) for International Students

International students on an F-1 visa are eligible to secure internships via Curricular Practical Training (CPT) if the following conditions are met:

Condition Description
1  Be a classified MS-CMPE student, i.e., completed all admission conditions
2  Cumulative SJSU GPA 3.0 or higher
3  Passed four CMPE graduate courses, including two program core courses
4  Enroll in CMPE 298i

The CPT can take place in the Spring, Summer, or Fall semester. A student can take a CPT up to three times. Beginning in S20, students will have the option of taking their CPT (CMPE 198i) for 1 unit or 3 units.

For information regarding Optional Practical Training (OPT), please visit SJSU’s International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) website.

A student planning to start practical training must file a CPT or OPT request form and submit it to the CMPE Department for approval (refer to Section 10: Advising).

Domestic students (including those holding H1B visas) can take an internship only by enrolling in CMPE 298i. To be eligible for enrollment, a copy of the offer letter, the admission letter showing conditions of admission if any, current student transcripts showing passage of two core and two additional graduate CMPE classes, proof of passage of condition classes, and the add form for CMPE 298i must be submitted to the department or to the Graduate Advisor. All of these requirements becomes unnecessary if the position is taken as a job rather than an internship, and this strategy is recommended.