How to Apply (BSN)
There is a dual-application process to apply for the BSN program.
Completing the NursingCAS Application
Follow the instructions on the application carefully. All previous college coursework must be reported on this application regardless of relevance to the program.
For general assistance with the NursingCAS application, contact the NursingCAS Applicant Help Center.
There is a section where you will upload the following documents to your NursingCAS application:
- Provide a copy of your valid California Driver's License
- Provide a copy of your valid U.S. Passport OR U.S. Birth Certificate OR Permanent Residency Card (green card)
- Provide a copy of the official TEAS exam score (only first page showing overall score is needed)
- Provide a signed copy of the Functional Competencies form [docx]
- Provide any Nursing Prerequisite Substitution Forms, if needed
- Provide the Healthcare Experience form [pdf], if applicable
Applicants with previous healthcare experience may receive a small increase in points towards their total nursing application score. Download form to see instructions.
Previous experience must meet the following requirements to be considered:
- a minimum of 100 hours completed within 3 years of the application deadline
- experience must include hands-on interaction with human clients
- does not include time spent in a classroom or clinicals for a training course
- proof of employment or volunteer experience required
Submitting Transcripts to NursingCAS
Official transcripts are required from each institution attended and reported on your NursingCAS application. Transcripts must be ordered through NursingCAS. For assistance, please review the instructions on NursingCAS.
Transcripts turned in to NursingCAS are not shared with SJSU Admissions!
Check your MySJSU to-do list for deadlines and instructions to submit final transcripts to SJSU to process your Cal State application. This process is separate from the nursing department review.