Graduate Student Registration

Graduate students need to complete the DocuSign Open University Registration Form

Please follow instructions on the first page of the form. The DocuSign Open University registration form is accessible from the first day of instruction until the last day to add without a late fee.

The DocuSign Open University Registration Form is automatically routed to the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) Office when requesting enrollment for 200+ level courses. 

Graduate Level Requirements

Approval from Graduate Admission and Program Evaluation (GAPE) office is required for graduate 200+ level courses. Prior baccalaureate degrees must already have been earned. You will be required to upload a transcript showing your bachelor’s degree conferred as proof of your earned degree. 

Enrollment in graduate 200+ level courses is not allowed if you meet any of the following:

  • Pending baccalaureate degrees
  • Disqualified students
  • Students who were denied admission into a graduate program (with the exception of those denied for limited space)
  • Recently deferred students from the current and prior semester
  • Students enrolling in a supervisory course, such as an independent study, project, or thesis course.

Policy: Open University enrollment does not serve as a guarantee for admission into a future program. Enrollment through Open University does not equate to enrollment into a degree program and/or does not lead to the culmination of a terminal Master's or Doctoral degree.

Courses taken via Open University are earned in non-resident (i.e., non-matriculated) status. CSU policy requires at least 21 units of a graduate program to be earned in resident (i.e., matriculated status). Furthermore, SJSU policy S13-8 allows a maximum of 30% of program units to be non-matriculated. Therefore, in a 30-unit program, only 9 units from Open University can be transferred. This means that students should carefully plan their Open University enrollment, as units beyond the program's limit cannot apply towards a future degree. 

Back to Top