Sign Up For Program Updates
New Program - Master of Design
Our new Master of Design (MDes) program is a two-year, hybrid format program that focuses on current, emerging, and experimental professional practices with distinct specializations in Experience Design and Animation.Master of Design
New Program - MSSE, Specialization in Enterprise Technologies
Join professional students in an unmatched educational experience with the MS in Software Engineering, Specialization in Enterprise Technologies. Prequalify today.MSSE in Enterprise Technologies
New Program - Higher Education Teaching Certificate
The Higher Education Teaching Certificate program provides graduate-level coursework and classroom experience to current and future higher education instructors.Higher Education Teaching Certificate
99.5% (191/192) of SJSU Clinical Lab Scientist graduates from 2017-2021 passed the ASCP Board of Certification examination within one year of graduation. Join them and train in top hospitals around California to prepare yourself for a rewarding career. Complete this 40-hour-a-week training program in one year.
The Clinical Laboratory Scientist Training (CLS) is a hands-on learning program that prepares you to obtain your California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License as well as your Medical Laboratory Science Certificate. The SJSU CLS Training program is approved by Laboratory Field Services, a division of the California Health and Human Services Agency, Department of Public Health. In just one-year, through 32 hours of training at a clinical site and eight hours in formal coursework online each week, you will gain a wealth of knowledge as a skilled professional.
The Program is accredited by the National Accreditation Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS), and our graduated students are eligible to take the national ASCP MLS Certification Board Exam.
Great networking opportunities
32 hours a week are devoted to clinical training. This experience gives you the opportunity to learn from and network directly with those already in the field.
Cohort based learning
Enjoy the benefits of a collaborative learning style, where you can share ideas, knowledge and support each other through the program.
- The job placement rate for students who completed the program for years 2017-2021 is 99.5% within one year of graduation.
- According to the American Society of Clinical Laboratory Science, California has a statewide critical shortage of CLSs. This brings the demand for employees up.
Apply To The Program
Learn more about how to apply below.
- Admission Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology or a related field
- 18 semester units of biology courses
- 16 semester units of chemistry courses including Quantitative Analysis (or Clinical Chemistry) and Biochemistry
- 3 semester units of Physics (must include light and electricity)
- Hematology, Immunology and Medical Microbiology completed within 5 years of application to the program
- Overall GPA of 2.8 or higher (including post-bachelors degree courses if applicable)
- Valid CLS Trainee License issued by the State of California Department of Public Health
- Acceptance by the SJSU CLS Training Program Selection Committee and a Clinical Affiliate
- Legal right to work in the United States
- Meet all the requirements of San José State University Admissions Department
- All prerequisites must be completed with grades documented by the application deadline
- Starting Spring 2023, Genetics and Human (or Mammal) Physiology coursework is strongly recommended, but not required
- Be able to pass basic health screen, drug test, background check
- Proof of current immunity to Hep B and other infectious diseases as required by our clinical affiliates
Our SJSU CLS Training Program Admission Requirements complement the requirements of California Laboratory Field Services (LFS) for a CLS Trainee License. Additional Requirements for Applicants with Degrees from Foreign Countries can be found on the CLS program site.
- How to ApplyFor detailed information on how to apply to the Clinical Laboratory Scientist Training please visit the CLS application page.
- Application Deadlines
For a full list of FAQ visit the FAQ section of the CLS program site.
Sign up to receive program updates.
An innovative combination of laboratory-based science and graduate-level business courses, our two-year, 13-course Master of Biotechnology (MBT) stands out with its direct mentorship opportunities and access to Silicon Valley biotech companies.
Our MS in Medical Product Development Management (MPDM) prepares you to be a leader in the biomedical field, uniquely offering both technical classes and graduate-level business courses. Complete this 13-course, 35-unit program in just two years.
The Clinical Genetic Molecular Biologist Scientist (CGMBS) Training Program, offered by the Department of Biological Sciences, is a 12 month program that enables students to obtain a Technologist in Molecular Biology (MB) Certificate from the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), as well as a California Clinical Genetic Molecular Biologist Scientist (CGMBS) License issued by the California Department of Public Health.