Installment Payment Plan
The university offers payment plans to assist students and their families in making their payments over a period of time.
Two payment plans are offered for the fall and spring semesters:
- Tuition and fees payment plan ($35 fee). Sign-up for this plan [pdf] if you need a monthly payment plan for tuition and fees.
- Housing payment plan ($35). Sign-up for this plan [pdf] if you need a monthly payment for housing charges.
Students may sign up for both plans if needed and each payment plan has a $35 fee. Students with a financial aid fee deferral, but owe housing charges, may opt for the housing payment plan. The number of installment depends on the date the student registers for classes or has housing charges posted and the due date(s) that is assigned to the charges.
Open University and Special Session students do not qualify for an Installment Payment Plan (IPP).
*** Enroll in an IPP before making your fist payment***
Tuition and Fees IPP Provisions
The initial payment includes campus mandatory fees, optional SIRF fee, First Day Solutions charges and miscellaneous class fees. These fees must be paid by your payment due date and are not included in the installments.
Eligible charges that can be divided into the installment payments include tuition fees, non-California resident fees, and graduate professional business program fees. A student must have a minimum of $1,000 in eligible charges to qualify for the payment plan.
When a student enrolls in an IPP, all eligible charges are divided into installments. If new charges post after any/all installment payments have been made, the new charges will be divided into the number of installments will pending for the plan. Students must check their MySJSU account after charges are incurred to see the latest installment balance(s) and due date(s). In other words, if you add or drop a class and your full-time or part-time status changes, this will be reflected on your account.
Payment Due Dates
On-time payments are part of the IPP terms and agreement. If a student fails to pay on time, SJSU may drop all of their classes. Check out this visual guide for instructions on how to view payment due dates [pdf].
If a student chooses not to attend classes, it is their responsibility to drop all classes prior to the first day of the term in order not to owe a debt to SJSU. All refund rules apply.
How to Sign-Up
- Step-by-step instructions [pdf] on how to sign up for the Tuition and Fees Payment Plan
- Step-by-step instructions [pdf] on how to sign up for the Housing Payment Plan
Sample Breakdown of IPP Installments and Payment Due Dates for a Four-Payment Plan (example is for a full-time undergraduate student) registering between October 25, 2022 through January 12, 2023
Downpayment Due Jan 17
|Amount Due||$1078.50||$957+ $35||$957||$957|
|Consists of||Campus mandatory fees, optional SIRF fee, and if applicable: First Day Solutions charges, and misecellaneous fees will be added to the initial payment due||1/3 tuition (if applicable will also include non-California resident fees) and IPP fee||1/3 tuition (if applicable will also include 1/3 of non-CA Resident fees||1/3 tuition (if applicable will also include 1/3 of non-CA resident fees|
Sample Breakdown of IPP Installments and Payment Due Dates for a 3-payment plan (example is for a full-time undergraduate student) registering between January 13 through February 14, 2023
Due Feb 17
|Installment 1 Due Mar 20||Installment 2 Apr 17|
|Amount Due||$1078.50 + $957 + $35||$957||$957|
|Consists of||Campus fees, 1/3 of tuition fees, plus IPP fee||1/3 tuition fee||1/3 tuition fee|
- If a student chooses not to attend classes, it is their responsibility to drop all classes prior to the first day of the term in order to not owe a debt to SJSU. All refund rules apply
- Installment payment plans are not offered for the winter and summer terms
- Special Session students who wish to request a payment plan, contact the Bursar's Office via email at email@example.com or by phone at 408-924-1601 and your inquiry will be directed to an Account Specialist
Housing IPP Provisions
Eligible charges will be divided into 4-payments or 3 payments depending on your due date. Your total balance will be divided equally between the installments. If charges are placed in the plan are reversed or reduced, your instalment payment will also be automatically reduced. If you incur eligible charges in the future, they will be added to this installment schedule automatically.
Payment Due Dates
- Downpayment due date: January 17, 2023
- First installment due date: February 17, 2023
- Second installment due date: March 20, 2023
- Third installment due date: April 17, 2023