Graduate Student Travel Awards
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the College of Graduate Studies only provided virtual-only travel awards for students. However, due to the reemergence of some in-person activities, we can now support both virtual and in person travel. Graduate Student Travel Awards are open to any matriculated graduate student in good academic standing at SJSU who wish to apply. This award will support registration costs and other fees associated with virtual (up to $500) or in-person travel (up to $1,500 or $2,000 for domestic and international travel, respectively). Applications are submitted via this application form and will be reviewed by the College of Graduate Studies in the order they are received. We may ask the faculty mentor/advisor to comment on the application. Applications should be submitted as early as possible; we cannot assure rapid review of applications, and reimbursement is only allowed for awards approved prior to the attended event.
Normally, all awarded travel expenses are reimbursed after the travel. However, if paying for the travel in advance is an economic hardship, please contact us here, and we may be able to assist.
Applications for travel awards will be evaluated based on the following priorities:
- Highest priority – travel to collect data or visit an archive or site to advance an active RSCA project.
- High priority – travel to present or perform the student’s RSCA work at a conference or similar disciplinary venue.
- Lower priority – travel to attend a conference or meeting that is valuable to the student’s education, but where the student is not presenting.
- Not awarded – funds for travel that does not advance the student’s graduate education. Travel for study abroad programs is not eligible for this award.
Preference will be given to travel that significantly benefits your graduate education. Please note that the description of how the travel will benefit your graduate education that you submit in your application will be used to assess the merit of your proposal.
Rules, Requirements, and Restrictions
- Travel awards are limited to the actual expenses, but in no case more than $1,500 for domestic travel and $2,000 for international travel. Partial funding through this program may be supplemented by travel funds from other sources* but in such cases documentation must be provided to assure that the various sources are not funding the same specific expense.
- No graduate student will be approved for an award more than once per academic year.
- Award recipients will be required to create an Open Research and Contributor ID (ORCiD) account. Registration is free and an account can be created here.
- Students must adhere to SJSU and CSU travel policies. More information can be found at the SJSU Finance and Business Services website. Also refer to the Travel FAQ page which includes details about virtual/webinar travel.
*Other sources of funding to support graduate student travel include: