Permission Codes

A permission number (also known as an “add code”) is a 5 or 6-digit number given to students, by the instructor or department of the course, which enables the student to enroll in a course.

An add code is typically required if the student doesn’t have the prerequisites to enroll in a certain class, if they need to repeat a class they didn’t pass, or if that particular class requires instructor or department consent.

To request an add code, the student should contact the course instructor (if listed for that course) or the home department for that course. Occasionally, the Graduate Advisor may be able to provide an add code. The student should be aware that add codes are given at the discretion of the instructor or department.

Add codes alone cannot override time conflicts. Students must also secure a Time Conflict Memo on department letterhead from the instructor or Graduate Advisor accommodating the student. The student needs to submit the letter to the Registrar's Office.

Permission numbers for transition courses

Graduate students may get an error message when they try to enroll in an undergraduate class. The message says that the student needs to have permission to take that class because the class is not in their career of study. When that happens, using an add code usually overrides the block.

Students may have to get add codes for each one of their lower-division transition classes. To get an add code, they should contact either the course instructor or the home department. Here are some course-specific instructions.


The Departments of Chemistry and Math tend to give lower priority to requests for add codes for graduate students from another College. If you are struggling to obtain an add code for one of their courses, you may want to consider taking Chem 1A/1B, Math 33A/33LA at a community college.