BME Graduate English Writing Requirement

All BME graduate students must satisfy the university’s graduate writing requirement (GWAR). This is a CSU wide requirement. This must be satisfied before enrolling in BME 291. 

This can be satisfied in one of 4 ways:

  1. Complete either BME 207 or BME 274 with a grade of B or better.

  2. Graduates from a CSU school will most probably have already satisfied the GWAR.Please consult your graduate advisor.

  3. If you have taken a technical writing course at a US University and are going to petition to use that course to meet the GWAR requirement, you MUST meet with your graduate advisor in order to fill out a petition that must be approved by the Graduate and Undergraduate Programs Office.

    The class must have been an upper division (junior/senior) technical writing course taught in the College of Science or Engineering with documented 32 pages of writing and a required literature review that includes referencing of technical articles. Just an English class or a lab class will not be accepted.

    Please provide the following: (a) a description of the course you took (from the web is fine), (b) course syllabus (c) a copy of your transcript with the grade you obtained in the course highlighted, and (d) a copy of graded writing form the class you took.

    You MUST have obtained a B or better in the Technical Writing Course in order to petition.

  4. Sole author of a peer-reviewed technical journal article. If so, provide the article to your graduate advisor to submit the petition.