Transferring an I-20

If you are admitted, you will receive an admission notice on your MySJSU account - linking you to your admission letter.  

If you are transferring from another US institution, you must:

  1. Complete the top portion of the Transfer IN (I-20 Transfer Request) form [pdf].
  2. Download a copy of your admit letter from the Next Steps portal.
  3. Take your completed form and SJSU admit letter to your current school and ask them to complete the remainder of the form and send to our office via the instructions provided on the form.
  4. Update the mailing address in your MySJSU account to your current U.S. address.
  5. Ensure you make this request at least three business days before the first day of classes at SJSU.  

Our office will process your Transfer In I-20 within 3-4 days once we receive the form and your current university releases your I-20.

Once your I-20 is ready, you will receive your official admission packet electronically.


**Please note: A transfer I20 is also required for students that have never attended a U.S. institution, but plan to arrive using another school's I-20. If you have already received an F-1 visa with another school's I-20 but you would like to attend SJSU instead, you must arrive in the US with the other school's I-20. You will finish immigration check-in by phone, email, or in-person with the other school and you must inform the other school that you want to transfer your SEVIS record to SJSU.

Your initial I-20 from SJSU will be canceled since you have already paid for the I-901 fee and received an F-1 visa with the other school. You will then receive a transfer I-20 after you have completed steps 1 - 4 above.