International Transfer Steps to Enrollment
Meet All Deadlines
If you miss an SJSU deadline, we will withdraw your application for admission, and you will not be able to attend SJSU for the term you originally intended. If you have an extreme hardship or unusual circumstance that may cause you to miss one of our deadlines, contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
Steps to Enrollment
Before starting the Steps to Enrollment process, make sure you have activated your
MySJSU account. SJSU communicates by posting items to your “To Do List” and sending messages to
your MySJSU account.
- Step 1 - Submit Your Intent to Enroll
If admitted, you must complete the Next Steps Intent to Enroll process by the date posted on your MySJSU “To Do List”. The Next Steps Intent to Enroll process includes accepting SJSU’s offer of admission, signing up for Spartan Experience for Transfers (SET) orientation, and paying the nonrefundable enrollment deposit. All steps must be completed to maintain admission at SJSU.
- Step 2 - Sign up for SET orientation
Spartan Experience for Transfers (SET) orientation is a mandatory one-day program. For details, visit the SET orientation website.
- Step 3 - Pay Your Enrollment Deposit
In order to complete the Next Steps Intent to Enroll process, you will be prompted to pay your enrollment deposit via our Cashnet website (link provided in your Next Steps portal). Your nonrefundable Enrollment Deposit of $80 covers the cost of the mandatory orientation fee.
- Step 4 - Apply for Campus Housing (Optional)
- If you would like to live in campus Housing while attending SJSU, you must complete a Housing Application by the priority Housing application deadline.
- Step 5 -Purchase Health Insurance (mandatory)
- SJSU requires all international students to have medical insurance, and international students are required to purchase health insurance coverage via SJSU’s provider prior to registering for classes. This is required even if you already have coverage through other means, such as individual, family, or corporate policies. You can register for the mandatory SJSU health insurance online.
- Step 6 - Attend SET orientation (Mandatory)
- Spartan Experience for Transfers (SET) orientation is mandatory. If you are late or leave during any portion of the program, your admission will be withdrawn.
- Step 7 - Take the Writing Skills Test Directed Self Placement Exercise
Due to the current suspension of in-person classes because of COVID-19 across the CSU system, SJSU must temporarily suspend offering the Writing Skills Test (WST), which is a prerequisite to 100W and SJSU Studies courses (GE Areas R, S, and V). We temporarily have an alternative process, called the WST Directed Self Placement exercise.
- Step 8 - Register for Classes
- Registration is a multi-step process. To view what is needed from an incoming transfer student in order to register, visit our registration information.
- Step 9 - Submit Final Transcripts and Documents
- Continue to check your MySJSU “To Do List” for transcript and document deadlines. We review your final transcript to verify that you completed all required courses for admission. Final transcripts must be submitted by the date listed on your MySJSU “To Do List”. If you have AP, IB or CLEP exam results, please have official test results sent to SJSU.
- Step 10 - Pay Tuition and Fees
- Tuition and fees are due after registering for your classes. Check your MySJSU account under "Finances" to see your payment due date. Your payment due date is based on when you registered for classes.
- Step 11 - Submit Proof of Immunization
- As a new student, you will need to provide proof of specific immunizations prior to the first day of classes. Please review the immunizations that need to be submitted.