Coursework Outside the U.S.

Freshman Applicants with two or more years of coursework taken outside U.S. will be reviewed on the admission requirements listed below:

  • Earn a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) or an average of "B" grades. If required, SJSU will convert your GPA of coursework outside the U.S. prior to application evaluation. Please note that some majors require higher GPAs than others.
  • Successfully complete three years of college preparatory mathematics with a minimum grade of "C" or better.
  • Submit official test scores from an approved English language proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or Duolingo). Scores must be sent directly to SJSU from the testing institution. You can view the minimum score requirements by visiting our International Applicant page and clicking on English Language Proficiency Exam Requirements.
  • Complete four years of College Prep English by coursework or an ELP passing score.
    Submit official secondary school (high school) transcripts, which must include the completion/graduation date.
  • Submit SAT/ACT exams (optional and only used for course placement if you are admitted).
  • Submit official transcript(s) from school(s) outside the U.S.
  • Review information on Impaction to learn about the SJSU selection process

If you took coursework outside the U.S. for less than two years, you must meet CSU Eligibility Requirements.

If you are required to have an F-1 or J-1 Visa to study in the U.S., please refer to the International Undergraduate Admission Requirements on our International Applicant page.

If you attended a school with U.S. Accreditation, you must meet CSU Eligibility Requirements.