Frequently Asked Questions

What is the COVID-19 vaccine requirements?

All students enrolled in an in-person or hybrid class must submit their vaccination status using the COVID-19 Vaccine Self-Certification form

For students who are enrolling in the current term using the DocuSign Open University registration form, follow the instructions below.

  • For students who already have an SJSU ID, you will be activated for the term and notified to submit your attestation. When you submit your attestation, the Registrar Office will register you into your approved class.
  • For brand new students who never had an SJSU ID and need GAPE's approval, upon receiving GAPE's approval for your 200+level course, the Registrar Office will create your student ID for you. You will then need to activate your SJSUOne account to access MySJSU and submit your attestation. The Registrar's office will add you into your approved class once your attestation is completed.

Check your Verification Status

For more information, check the general COVID-19 vaccination requirements on the Health Advisories and Student Health Center websites or follow the President's directive

What is a waitlist class?

The waitlist provides students with a process to enroll in a class that is full, if seats become available. Waitlist will be active for the first 9 days of the semester until Friday, February 3. To learn more about waitlist classes, visit the Registrar's Office website.

What is an instructor consent class?

A class with instructor consent means enrollment in a course requires approval from the instructor. Students will need to reach out to the instructor about their intent to enroll. If the student is enrolling through MySJSU, they can request for a permisison number. If the student is submitting a DocuSign Open University Registration form, follow the instructions carefully to ensure the form is routed to the correct instructor for approval. 

Are international students eligible to take OU courses with an international visa?

If you are studying under an F1 or J1 status through another school/program, you can take Open University courses at SJSU. These courses can be used towards maintaining your legal F1 or J1 status if approved by your current school/program.

Open University is not open to SJSU matriculated students and/or sponsored students.

How do I access my account?

Are transcripts and a SJSU application necessary?

Transcripts and a formal University application are not required for OU enrollment. Follow Registration[BROKEN LINK] instructions to register.

How many units can I apply to my undergraduate/graduate degree? 

Open University students may apply 24 units to an undergraduate degree or 9 units to a graduate degree. 

Can I add a course after the deadline?

You can add a course provided you meet the prerequisite requirements and the instructor sign your registration form. Complete a "Late Add" form (PDF) in the Form Section[BROKEN LINK] for PaCE Associate Dean's approval.

Can I drop my classes and receive a refund?

You can drop your classes by the drop date and receive a partial refund listed on the calendar in the OU calendar. NO REFUNDS are given for dropping an Open University class  after the last day to drop  for a partial refund. Failure to attend may not cause students to be dropped from a  class automatically. Failure to drop officially from a course generates a failing grade of  “F” or “WU” and fees will be charged to student account.

Can I take OU classes if I am a matriculated student?

No, you may not cancel your admission to the university for purposes of attending Open University. You may not enroll in Open University if you have been admitted to SJSU as a regular student for this semester or if you are a continuing regular student, registered in the previous semester. This rule is not applied for disqualified student.

How can I access my grades or obtain a transcript?

To order official transcripts, visit the Transcript website.

Grades will be available within two to three weeks after the course completes. Access your grades via online, MySJSU (UserID and password required).

How do I create My SJSU account?

When Quick Admit is available for the term, click the link to create your MySJSU online account. For step-by-step guide, you can watch our video playlist. This account will give a student access to register for classes, pay for courses and see student’s records. If a student has an existing account but cannot remember the password, please contact Provide at least two of the following items for verification:

  1. SJSU student ID
  2. Date of birth
  3. Mailing address

How do I know if the course I am taking through OU will count toward my degree/program?

You can meet with the Undergraduate or Graduate Advisor of the department where you are pursuing a degree to make sure the course(s) you are taking count toward your degree/program.

How do I obtain a student ID card?

Open University students who wish to obtain a student ID card would need to submit proof of registration to the Bursar's office. You can present your student ID# or a screenshot of your enrollment from your device. ID card can be picked up in person or mailed to student's address upon enrollment verification. ID card is only valid during the term student enrolls in a class at SJSU.  

How do I withdraw from OU classes?

See the OU calendar for deadlines. You may withdraw from courses after the refund deadline and receive a “W” grade by securing the approval signature of the instructor and PaCE Associate Dean on a withdrawal petition form. No refund is given. Failure to withdraw officially from a course generates a failing grade of “F” or “WU”.

Is financial aid available?

Financial aid is not available for Open University students. However, you may apply for a student loan through a financial institution.

What if I am not on the class roster?

Make sure you submitted your signed DocuSign Open University Registration form.

You may have been dropped for non-payment. Check with the Bursar’s Office.

What if the course(s) I have selected have been cancelled?

Refer to the department for a current listing of available classes.

What is a retroactive course add or drop?

You request adding/dropping a class(es) from a previous semester. To request a retroactive add/drop, you must complete a retroactive add or Petition for Course Drop which can be found at the Forms section. Once approved, you can add/drop course(s) and receive a grade of “W” by securing the approval signature of the instructor, department chair and signature of authorized PaCE official. No refund is given for requesting a retroactive drop. Failure to drop officially from a course taken in a previous semester generates a failing grade of “F” or “WU”.

How do I register for a course with a prerequisite as an Open University/Non-SJSU student?

If you received a permission number from the ​instructor or ​department​​, you may use that number to register for the class online at MySJSU. If you have completed the test prerequisite at another university, you will need to complete the DocuSign Open University Registration form, attach a proof of meeting the requirement.

Please contact  or if you have a MATH test prerequisite that was completed at another and university and need approval to register.

If there is no professor listed in the Open University class I want, how do I request permission to enroll? 

If a professor is not listed, students can send the class request to the department for approval. 

If the professor for my Open University class does not respond back for my class request, how may I follow up?

If you are unable to contact the professor of the Open University class you want to take, you can send the class request to the department for approval. 

How long will a course take to appear in my Open University student account once enrolled?

Course access may take up to 48 hours after enrollment is finalized. We recommend students to email their professor for course materials in the meantime.

I am having trouble entering my Open University student account and IT directed me to PaCE. 

If you don’t remember your SJSUOne Account ID number, you can look up your ID number here. If you have an SJSUOne Account ID but don’t remember your password, follow these instructions. If you are unable to access your account after following these steps, you can submit a DocuSign Open University Registration Form.  

How do I re-enroll if I've been dropped from my class for non-payment?

  1. Find your class in the course schedule to obtain your instructor’s email address; it’s linked to the instructor’s name.
  2. Email your instructor to request an add code.
  3. Register via MySJSU or via the DocuSign Open University Registration Form.  on the first day of class to get enrolled.
  4. Pay your fees before payment due date.  
Back to Top