Student Research Opportunities
Student research activities in the College of Science are central to the San Jose State University mission in three ways:
- Research expands the base of human knowledge,
- Engagement in research is a pathway to student success, and
- Research activity weaves the scholarly tapestry that enriches the lives of every member of the university community.
How do I join a research group?
If you would like to join a research group, here are three simple steps to take:
1. Look through the websites of the faculty-led research groups and choose two or three that interest you. The links for research groups in each department are below! Most faculty accept research students year-round, whenever there is a good fit.
Research groups in each department:
- Biological Sciences
- Computer Science
- Mathematics and Statistic
- Meteorology and Climate Science
- Marine Science and MLML
- Physics and Astronomy
- Science Education
2. Email the professors who lead the two to three research groups that interest you and request an appointment to talk about research. It is helpful if you tell the professor your current year (i.e. first-year, second-year, etc.), your major and concentration, and any coursework that might prepare you for this research training experience.
3. Meet with the professors, and ask what your project would be and how much time commitment is required. This is also a great opportunity to see first-hand what each professor’s mentoring style is like and if it is a good fit for you.
When you find a research mentor that is a good fit and they offer you a research training experience, accept their offer! Usually, you should enroll in at least one unit of a 180 course (undergraduate research) each semester that you participate with the faculty research mentor. These 180 units can count toward elective units in many majors. Have fun! This may well prove to be one of the most transformational experiences in your career.
Also, check out these student research support programs to see if you qualify for any of these federally-funded programs directed by SJSU faculty that could provide you with financial support.
Frequently Asked Questions