FAFSA & Dream Act Simplification
Due to the Fostering Undergraduate Talent by Unlocking Resources for Education (FUTURE) act, the FAFSA is changing for the 2024-2025 award year. Learn more about the upcoming changes from the Department of Education.
FAFSA Summary of Changes
- Expected Family Contribution (EFC) replaced by Student Aid Index (SAI).
- Less overall questions on the FAFSA
- The IRS Data retrieval process is now required to receive financial aid
- FAFSA contributors, such as a parent, will need to log in with their own FSAID to complete student's FAFSA. Need help creating an FSAID? [pdf]
California Dream Act (CADAA)
Proposed changes for the California Dream Act include:
- The California Dream act will use the new Student Aid Index (SAI) rather than an EFC.
- Inclusion of Race, Ethnicity, and gender questions, used for statistical purposes only.
- AB540 Affidavit included as part of the application.
- Work on changes to allow parent to sign CADAA application during the original submission, potentially eliminating the need for a parent pin.