Federal Direct PLUS Loans
The PLUS loan is a federally funded loan from the U.S. Department of Education. Students must be enrolled at least half time (6 undergraduate units or 4 graduate units).
There are two types of PLUS loans:
- Parent PLUS Loans: For parents/stepparents of dependent undergraduate students. Stepparents are eligible as long as their information is included on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Graduate/Professional PLUS Loans: Students must be accepted and enrolled in a master's degree program.
2022-23 Deadlines to apply:
- December 6, 2022: For Fall 2022 term only
- April 28, 2023: For full academic year loan, or Spring 2023 only
How to Apply
Applying for the Parent PLUS Loan
- Student accepts the PLUS loan offered on their MySJSU.
- Next, the borrower (parent or step-parent) goes to StudentAid.gov
- Under "Apply for Aid," click on "Apply for a Direct Parent PLUS Loan"
- For type of Direct PLUS Loan Application, select "START"
- Parent logs in with your personal FSA ID and Password
- Select the Award Year. Typically, this process becomes available in July.
- School Name: SAN JOSE STATE UNIVERSITY
- Parents: You will be asked if you would prefer to have any credit balance (refund after fees have been paid to the school) sent to either you (the parent borrower) or directly to your student. You will also be asked if you wish to request for a deferment (postponement) of your loan payment while your student is enrolled, as well as if you wish to request a 6 month deferment if your student ceases to be enrolled at least half time.
- Loan Amount Requested: Indicate the amount you wish to borrow. You can request any amount not to exceed the maximum amount offered on your student’s MySJSU award notice.
- After the credit is approved, first-time PLUS Loan borrowers must also complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). If you completed an MPN for a previous San Jose State University PLUS Loan, you may not need to complete this step.
- Go to StudentAid.gov. Under "Complete Aid Process," click on Parent PLUS MPN.
- Log in with your personal FSA ID and Password and follow the prompts.
- Apply for a PLUS loan early! Loan process can take up to 3 weeks once application is submitted.
Applying for the Graduate/Professional PLUS Loan
After accepting the loan in MySJSU, the credit check is automatically processed. Students will receive communication from the Department of Education regarding the credit approval/denial. If the credit is approved, this indicates you are eligible to borrow the Graduate PLUS loan.
First-time Graduate PLUS Loan borrowers must complete Loan Entrance Counseling. If you completed Loan Entrance Counseling for a previous San Jose State University Graduate PLUS Loan, you may not need to complete this step.
1. Go to StudentAid.gov
2. Under "Complete Aid Process" click on Grad PLUS MPN
3. Log in with your FSA ID and Password and follow the prompts
Note: After all the steps are completed successfully, allow up to 3 weeks for processing and for PLUS loan checklist items to be updated from the student's To Do List.