Chafee Grant

If you are or were in foster care for at least one day, between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. 

  • The Chafee Grant is federal and state funded with a current maximum Chafee Grant amount of $5,000 per academic year (not to exceed cost of attendance).
  • To qualify, you must be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year.
  • The court must have established your dependency when you were between the ages of 16 and 18. (KinGap youth, adopted youth, guardian placement, and voluntary placement may not be eligible for the Chafee Grant, unless court dependence was established, at anytime, between the ages of 16 and 18). The California Department of Social Services will verify your foster youth eligibility status.
  • To be eligible, you must be enrolled at least half-time and maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • To apply, you must submit the Chafee Grant application, and have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a California Dream Act Application.
  • Upon completion of the application process, the Commission will send you a letter notifying you of your award status. Contact the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office for further information on the disbursement of funds.
  • Students who are auditing classes or taking classes for "no credit" are not eligible for any financial aid towards those registration fees.
  • For more information on the Chafee Grant, visit the California Student Aid Commission website.