San Jose State University offers limited summer financial aid which may consist of Grant(s) and/or Stafford Loan(s). The amount and type of summer aid students are eligible to receive will depend on many factors, including grade level, need, and whether or not eligibility for these funds have been exhausted during the regular academic year (fall/spring).
Summer Aid Programs
- Loans: Limited loan options are available to summer students, based on remaining eligibility.
- Federal Grants: Pell Grant eligible students may qualify for an additional Pell Grant for Summer. Students must be enrolled at least half-time in order to be considered. See the Summer Pell Grant page for more details.
- State Grants: State Grant Aid (Cal Grant, State University Grant, Middle Class Scholarship and some tuition fee waivers) are not available during the Summer sessions as state fees are not charged during this term
Summer Aid Criteria
- Enroll in summer courses at least half-time (4 units Graduate, and at least 6 units, in most cases, for Undergraduate students).
- Submit the online Summer Financial Aid Application to determine summer financial aid eligibility. Awards will be posted within 2-4 weeks of submission.
Make satisfactory academic progress toward your degree, per the Summer Academic Progress Policy/Agreement [pdf]
Requirements for Summer 2023
- Must be a continuing SJSU student.
- Must have a completed 2022-2023 FAFSA application and submitted all supporting documents.
- Must be awarded for 2022-2023 academic year.
- Must be enrolled in the minimum number of units required:
- 6 units for undergraduate, 2nd BA or Credential students
- 4 units of 200 level classes or departmental approved equivalency for Graduate students.
- Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Must meet the document submission deadline, this includes on-line acceptance of loans. Applications received after this date will not be processed and student is responsible for any fees due by the posted deadline.
Summer 2023 Aid Timeline
- Summer registration begins: April 12, 2023
- Financial aid application process begins: April 12, 2023
- Final Day to Apply for Summer Financial Aid: July 5, 2023
- Last Day to accept Summer loans: July 7, 2023
- Spring Academic Standing: June 7, 2023
- First Summer Aid Disbursement: June 13, 2023
- All Fall aid will be held for those who receive aid for Summer Sessions until after 8/21
The graduate programs that have a summer admission and are eligible for aid are the programs offered through the College of Education:
The Certificate Programs offered through the College of Business that begin in the summer term are not eligible for any federal or state aid.
The Special Sessions MA in Music program that begins in the summer term are not eligible for any federal or state aid.
The disbursement of funds begins on a weekly basis, starting the 2nd week of the summer term. Financial aid funds will apply to the student's account and pay any outstanding fees owed to the university (fees not covered by financial aid is the responsibility of the student).
Refunds, if any, will be mailed or directly deposited into the student's checking/saving account. Click direct deposit for more information.
Fee deferrals protect classes and suspend the payment of tuition fees until after the semester begins. Fee deferrals are temporary and will be removed at the beginning of each semester. Once removed, all fees are due on the set deadline date, regardless of the student's summer financial aid status. To prevent enrollment cancellation, submit all requested documents by scheduled fee payment deadline.
Summer Federal Work Study
Students who are planning on working under the Federal Work Study program beyond May 23 must first receive a summer federal work-study (FWS) clearance. This will allow students to work the months of June, July, and August.
To apply for a summer clearance, students must complete and submit the Summer Federal Work-Study Allocation Application.
To be considered, students will need to first complete the 2022-2023 Financial Aid application process (submit FAFSA and all requested financial aid verification forms) as well as be determined to have financial need for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Summer Aid FAQ
If you have any questions, contact Financial Aid and Scholarship Office: 408.283.7500 or email@example.com.