Withdrawal Policy

Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office to determine how withdrawing from classes might affect your current and future financial aid award.

Refer to the Schedule of Classes and SJSU Catalog for information on instructions, policies and procedures for the withdrawal process. Students MUST complete the Petition for Withdrawal form to notify the Financial Aid Office when they stop attending ALL classes.

For questions on withdrawal due to CSU Covid-19 Vaccination mandate read the FAQ.

Refunds and Pro-Rata Charges

In accordance with a federal formula, the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office must pro-rate financial aid eligibility for students who:

  • Withdraw from all classes within the first 60% of the semester and had federal and/or state aid applied to their student account from any financial aid program.
  • Your financial aid eligibility will be recalculated according to a federal formula. Since funds are based on attendance for the entire semester, your aid must be recalculated on the actual number of days attended.
  •  The amount to be repaid, if any, is determined according to your withdrawal date.
  • The university will provide the official withdrawal date to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.

Visit the Bursar's Office website for more details about dates and charges based on your withdrawal date.

You may be required to repay part or all of the money you received when you withdrew from classes. The amount to be repaid, if any, is determined according to your withdrawal date. The return of funds by the school is paid from university resources, which may create an obligation from you to the university. Any grant repayment you ma owe will be payable to the campus. If you owe SJSU a refund, you will be notified in writing and will be required to contact the Bursar's Office for payment arrangement.

If you are eligible for a tuition or housing fee refund due to your withdrawal, all or part of the refund will be used to repay financial aid before it is released to you. You may owe additional amounts as well, which you must repay. In some cases, if you are eligible for additional funds due to your withdrawal, we will notify you of your rights and options.

You will not be eligible for any future federal or state financial aid until the balance due is paid in full. You will not be allowed to enroll in any upcoming semesters or have access to campus services (i.e.: transcripts, library services, etc.). You will also receive a letter stating that there is a hold on your future financial aid for not completing required units (refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy). This hold can only be released by the Financial Aid Academic Progress Committee upon approval of your petition.

Students who have loans and withdraw from school must notify their lenders immediately. If you received a Perkins Loan at SJSU, you must contact the Bursar's Office to discuss an Exit Interview with the Collections Department of the Bursar's Office before leaving the University. Students with Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford or Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans are required to complete the online Exit Loan Counseling session found on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) website.

If your withdrawal brings you below half-time status, you will start your grace period. When the grace period ends, you will begin repayment according to the terms of your promissory note.

Aid will be returned in the following order (as required under regulation):

  • Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  • Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal PLUS Loan (Graduate Student)
  • Federal PLUS Loan (Parent)
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)