Department of Defense
The Department of Defense has long supported universities to perform state-of-the-art, competitive, basic research in science and engineering relevant to the DoD mission and reflecting national security priorities, while strengthening the future science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) workforce.
There may be required registrations for submission of proposals. Contact SJSU Research Foundation to get set up.
Finding the right funding opportunity
A Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) is a competitive solicitation procedure used to obtain proposals for basic and applied research. The BAA contains priorities for research topics, eligibility requirements, instructions on the submission process, and required content for proposals. Each BAA is specific to that funding opportunity.
- Office of Naval Research (ONR) BAAs
- How to Apply to ONR
- Working with ONR
- University Research Initiatives
- Young Investigator Program (YIP)Air Force
- Army Broad Agency Announcements
- U.S. Army Medical Research & Material Command:Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP)
Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Research & Engineering
- Basic Research Office (BRO)
- Research & Education Program for Historically Black Colleges and Universities/Minority-Serving Institutions (HBCU/MI)
- Vannevar Bush Faculty Fellowship
Grant applications are submitted in accordance with individual broad agency announcements. Refer to the individual announcement for specific submission requirements.
You may be asked to submit an Idea Statement first to a program officer before submitting any required proposal materials. Also, there may be a formal, two step application process. First you may be required to submit a white paper, followed by an invited full proposal. Carefully read the BAA for specific requirements. If you have questions about the process, contact the SJSU Research Foundation.
Below is a list of the usual documents that are part of a DoD proposal. The Research Foundation will provide you a checklist of proposal documents specific to your FOA when you are applying.
- White paper (this may be a required first step, with full proposals invited)
- Standard Form (SF) 424
- Statement of Disclosure Preference (Form 52 or 52A)
- Research and Related Other Project Information
- Project Abstract
- Project Description (Technical Proposal)
- Biographical Sketch
- Current and Pending Support
- Facilities, Equipment, and Other Resources
- Proposal Budget
- Contract Facilities Capital Cost of Money(FCCM) (DD Form 1861)