National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- You will need to create an eRA Commons account, if you do not already have one. Contact SJSU Research Foundation to set one up.
- Information on page limits for different NIH proposal types
- Information for new investigators from the NIH
- Mock NIH peer review session from November 2020
1. Writing the Specific Aims
- Part 1: The Rhetorical Pattern of Introductions in Aims Pages (Northwestern University)
This video deconstructs the introductory material of successful aims pages.
- Part 2: Patterns and Content in the Specific Aims and Conclusions in Aims Pages (Northwestern
This video focuses on the specific aims concluding material of an aims page.
- Article from National Center for Biotechnology Information on NIH Specific Aims
- NIH “All About Grants Podcast: Considerations for a Research Plan,” February 2021
- 8 recommended elements for writing concise and compelling specific aims [pdf]
2. Writing the Research Plan
- Part 1: Understanding NIH criteria (Northwestern University)
- Part 2: Understanding the overall structure of a grant (Northwestern University)
- Part 3: Significance and Innovation criteria (Northwestern University)
- Part 4: Analyzing the approach section (Northwestern University)
- In order to prepare your NIH Biosketch, please use the NIH SciENcv service, and log on using your eRA Commons login (see above).
- See here for NIH instructions on Biosketches with samples
- Download a sample non-fellowship biosketch from NIH [docx]
2. Data Sharing Plan (DSP)
- For infomation on Data Sharing Plans, please visit our DMP Toolkit.