Caring for Yourself

How can we help you?

San José State University is a very large place with many students in housing, but it can still be easy to feel all alone. UHS and Residential Life want to support students with any concerns that may come their way.

Whether you are feeling overwhelmed by everyday stressors or experiencing a major crisis, case management through UHS can get you connected to needed support.

What is a Case Manager?

Case Managers in Higher Education work with students who are experiencing challenges that prevent their success by supporting them as they access appropriate medical or mental health care, uphold university behavioral expectations, and learn how to advocate for themselves in the academic environment. Case Managers also engage in prevention efforts and interventions on behalf of students by assessing risk, advocating for systems that benefit students, and meeting with students on an on-going basis to help address their needs.

How do I know if I need Case Management?

You do not need a specific reason to see a case manager. If you are struggling or just need someone to talk to, you can set up a meeting and get support. However, some reasons students might come to see a case manager include dealing with a physical or mental health concern, experiencing financial stress, having concerns in a variety of areas (poor grades, social challenges, confusion about major, etc.) and not knowing where to start, or simply feeling lonely. There is no issue too big or too small for the case manager to support you with.

How do I know if someone I care about needs Case Management?

Many students live in close community at San José State University and the actions of one can impact many. If you are the parent, roommate, friend, or neighbor of a student who seems to be having a hard time, it is important to know you have a person you can turn to. Students who are consistently skipping class, isolating themselves from others, hurting themselves, being hurt by someone else, sleeping too much or too little, heavily using substances, or having difficulty regulating their emotions may be showing signs of distress. While it can be tough when you are in the middle of it, you will never regret taking the opportunity to make sure the person you care about is safe and getting support.

I want to connect with a Case Manager, what do I do now?

You can contact the Housing Case Manager and Director of Residential Life, Kevin Kinney, at 408-795-5635 or send an e-mail to His office is located on the 2nd floor of Campus Village B in the Housing Office.  At times, the Case Manager will also reach out to students who have been experiencing challenges.

To make a report about concerning behavior or learn more about campus resources, please visit the Behavioral Intervention Team's website.

Reference: Higher Education Case Managers Association, 2013