Financial Conflict of Interest

In compliance with federal regulations San José State University and the San José State University Research Foundation require principal investigators and other key personnel on a sponsored project to disclose a list of significant financial interests (SFI) that could be reasonably expected to bias the design, conduct, or reporting of the project. This requirement also applies to any significant financial interests of his/her spouse and dependent children.

PIs, Co-PIs, and in some instances, key personnel listed on a proposal for external funding must complete a Financial Conflict of Interest disclosure form (the California Form 700U or SJSU Research Foundation Financial Conflict of Interest forms as applicable) before submitting a proposal to and expending on a sponsored project funded by the National Science Foundation, Public Health Service, SF-, PHS-, other agencies adopting federal requirements, or non-governmental sponsors.

Refer to the SJSU Research Foundation Financial Conflict of Interest Policy [pdf]for specific details and guidelines. 

Agency Required Training

Investigators are required to complete mandatory conflict of interest training before engaging in research funding by PHS. To meet this requirement, SJSU has subscribed to the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program for training delivery. In addition to conflict of interest traiing, the CITI program offers courses on a range of other topics including human subjects research, animal care and use, and responsible conduct of research. For specific details on training requirements, availability of courses, and how to register, visit the Research and Innovation website.

Related Policy & Training Information:

Academic Senate Policy S99-11

42 CFR Part 50, 45 CFR Part 94 [pdf]

CSU HR 2005-38 [pdf]



NIH FCOI Tutorial


Understanding FCOI: Ten Things You Should Know or Do [pdf]

If you have any remaining questions about the Financial Conflict of Interest Policy or regarding completing the FCOI forms, please contact Research Compliance.