Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) funds are allocated to SJSU for the purpose of hiring students with qualifying financial needs. The funds provided to your department will cover only a part of the student's salary.

If your department hires a Work Study student, you will need to match the Federal funds with a smaller percentage. Typically it is 25% to 30% of the total salary. Departments are responsible for any amount their Work Study students earn above the FWS award amount.

Move Salaries from Federal Work Study to Student Assistant

If a student has expended more than the award amount, you can reclassify FWS salaries as Student Assistant (SA) salaries. To do this, please submit a HR Expense Adjustment Request to a Financial Aid Accountant in Accounting Services.

Move Salaries from Student Assistant to Federal Work Study

If an adjustment is required to move SA salaries into FWS salaries, then verify the FWS award eligibility of the student with the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office. Once confirmed, you can submit a HR Expense Adjustment Request to a Financial Aid Accountant in Accounting Services to reclassify the salary.

Off-Campus Agencies & Auxiliary Organizations

Off-campus agencies and auxiliary organizations may also hire Work Study students. We require a deposit at the beginning of the fiscal year. Accounting Services will send you monthly statements showing the balance remaining in the fund.