Accidents and Injuries

There are procedures for employees, students, and visitors to follow when handling injury or accident reports involving the university.

Employee Accidents

Employees (including student workers) should immediately report any work-related injury or illness to his or her supervisor.  See Workers’ Compensation for more information.

Student and Visitor Accidents

In the event of an accident or injury involving a student or visitor to the university, the highest priority must always be caring for the individual.

  1. If the injury is serious, call 911, use a blue light phone, or contact the University Police Department (UPD) at 408-924-2222 and follow their instructions.
  2. If a student who has been injured can be moved, take them to the SJSU Student Health Center.
  3. After the student or visitor has been cared for and the accident is under control, review our Student and Visitor Accident Reporting Guidelines [pdf].
  4. Then, complete the Student and Visitor Accident Reporting Form [pdf] and submit it to Risk Management.

Student and Visitor Accident Reporting is necessary to assist the university in proper investigation and follow-up measures to prevent further accidents and to assist with the injured person's own medical insurance. Any reports that UPD or other police agencies may file are also needed.

Information on Filing a Claim Against San José State University

All claims against San José State University must be filed with the Risk Management Department within six (6) months of the accident or incident date of occurrence. Completed claim forms must be mailed or delivered to the address below along with a $25 Claim Filing Fee. Checks should be made out to "Trustees of CSU."

Visit the California State University Systemwide Risk Management website for further information and to obtain a claim form [pdf].

Send Claim Forms to:

The California State University - Office of the Chancellor
Risk Management and Public Safety
401 Golden Shore, 5th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4210