Travel Insurance

Life and Disability Insurance

While traveling on university business, employees may be covered by Life and Disability Insurance.  For specific details, please contact University Personnel.

GoCard Coverage

The GoCard Program provides the following coverage:

  • Car Rentals - When using the GoCard for car rentals, liability insurance is covered in the amount of $500,000 per traveler.
  • Life Insurance - When using a GoCard for expenses related to official university travel, life insurance is covered in the amount of $500,000 per traveler.
  • Lost Luggage - When using the GoCard for flights related to official university travel, lost luggage may be reimbursed.

International Travel Insurance

Travel insurance is required for all faculty, staff, and students traveling outside the United States on university business.

  • SJSU's Risk Management Office is required to obtain travel insurance on your behalf once your international Travel Authorization is submitted and approved in FTS.
  • Foreign Travel Insurance provides accident & sickness (medical) coverage, general liability, excess auto liability, foreign workers’ compensation, and executive assistance (including legal assistance, embassy/consular contacts, and assistance in replacing lost documents).

Insurance Premiums

Insurance premiums will be recharged to the traveler's department. Rates are subject to change:

  • For trips up to 15 days duration, the premium is $60.
  • For trips up to 30 days duration, the premium is $75.
  • Trips of more than 30 days in duration require insurance underwriter approval.
  • Additional premium will be charged for travel to high hazard/war risk countries.

International Travel Requirements

International travelers must complete the following steps before departing on their international trip:

  1. Familiar themselves with the SJSU Travel Guide.
  2. Check to see if their destination country is on either the State Department Hazardous Country List or the CSURMA's High Hazardous Country List [pdf].
  3. Travelers should print out and carry the Travel Assist Card [pdf] at all times when traveling internationally.
  4. Sign up for the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. This is a system utilized by the State Department to connect with the traveler, providing information should conditions change in the foreign location and assist the traveler in an emergency.

High Hazard Travel Requirements

For trips to high hazard countries, travelers must:

  1. Submit the Travel to High Hazardous Countries Request [DocuSign] and attach a completed copy to the Travel Authorization in FTS. Submit the travel authorization in a timely manner to ensure it arrives in the President’s office at least 45 days prior to the departure date to obtain the mandatory President’s Office approval (and Chancellor’s Office approval for War Risk Countries).

Additional Resources