Eligibility to Work for Students
In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, proof of employment eligibility and identification are required at the time of hire.
- San José State University is not a sponsoring agent for staff positions and may only hire individuals who are legally able to work in the United States.
- Within three days from the date of hire, candidates must provide proof of identity and proof of U.S. citizenship or eligibility or authorization to work in the United States.
Verification of work authorization status is mandated by the Immigration Reform and Control Act before every prospective employee can begin work. The appropriate form which must be completed is Form I-9 [pdf].
Eligibility to Work
Verification of identity and employment authorization is mandated by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) before every employee can begin work. See Eligibility to Work Requirements for more information.
In order to work at SJSU you are required to take the following action no later than the effective date of your appointment.
- Complete and Sign Section 1 of the Form I-9 via Tracker I-9
- You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org prompting you to begin the process
- Present original documents (no photocopies or digital images) to University Personnel
- Complete the New Employee Forms Packet [DocuSign]
If any of the above is not complete by the effective date of your appointment you will not be allowed to begin work.