Employment Based Visas

In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, proof of employment eligibility and identification are required at the time of hire.

  • San José State University is not a sponsoring agent for staff positions and may only hire individuals who are legally able to work in the United States.
  • Within three days from the date of hire, candidates must provide proof of identity and proof of U.S. citizenship or eligibility or authorization to work in the United States.

Tenured & Tenure-Track Faculty Employment Based Visas

University Personnel can assist with the H-1B and Permanent Resident Status – EB-2 (Green Card) application process for candidates who have accepted full-time, tenure-track faculty positions.

  • SJSU does not sponsor non-tenure track (temporary) faculty for the H1-B Visa or EB-2 Permanent Residency.
  • University Personnel does not provide legal advice.
  • No person can be guaranteed approval of immigration status or change in status.
  • Contact University Personnel at 408-924-6670 for assistance with the H-1B or EB-2 process. 

Note: San José State University does not participate in E-Verify, therefore the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training (OPT) Extension does not provide work authorization for employment at SJSU.